Go to Top

Get Your Licence

Get Your Licence

Choosing The Right Scooter For You

First of all you need to ask yourself what you will use the scooter for. Think about the roads you’ll be using and the speed of the surrounding road users. It will help to use the guide chart to your right to narrow down your choice.You can then think about the style of scooter you require. Piaggio

is the contemporary brand with the modern clean lines. Gilera is the sport brand with aggressive styling and performance to match. Vespa is the classic favourite and stands alone as the embodiment of scooter style.

Maximum speeds are a guide only and are affected by load and weather conditions. Extended and continuous operation should be around 80- 85 percent of the maximum speed capability and maximum speed reserved for intermittent bursts.

50cc scooters are speed limited to 50km/h by law and allow car licence holders in QLD, WA, NTand SA to ride on a car licence.

Your Piaggio dealer also has a wealth of information and good advice when selecting a scooter to suit your needs.


50cc scooters are speed limited (by law) to 50km/h. Best suited for local suburban travel on 40, 50, and 60km/h speed- limited roads and the congested inner city.




125-150cc scooters are best suited for local travel, continuous travel on 80km/h roads and brief commutes on 100km/h speed- limited roads.





250cc scooters are best suited for local travel and continuous travel on 110km/h roads.



Over 250cc scooters are best suited for local travel and continuous travel on 110km/h roads. Extra power provides relaxed highway riding and overtaking abilities.



All Piaggio, Vespa and Gilera models are LAMS compliant (LEARNER APPROVED MOTORCYCLES) in all states where the LAMS scheme exists.

Obtaining a Learner Licence

This information has been provided as a guide and while reasonable efforts are made to ensure it is up to date, information may have changed. We recommend you contact the Registration and licensing bureau in your state to ensure you have the most current information.



  • You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you are issued with a learner rider licence.
  • You may book into and attend a pre-learner course at the age of 16 years and 6 months.
  • You do not have to hold a driver licence to get a motorcycle licence. You can attend a Pre-learner course, which runs over 2 days (3.5 hours per day). The course is designed for people who have no prior motorcycle riding experience.

To get a learner rider licence, go to your nearest motor registry and:

  1. Take your Pre-learner Certificate of Competence.
  2. Take Proof of Identity documents.
  3. Complete an application form.
  4. Pass an eyesight test.
  5. Pass the rider knowledge test. A fee is applicable and a booking may be required (bookings for a knowledge test can now be made from the myTests section of this website or by phoning the RTA on 13 22 13).
  6. Pay the licence fee.

You will then be issued with a learner rider licence, valid for 12 months

  • Learner motorcycle riders must not ride faster than 80km and must observe the speed limit where it is below 80km/h.

More information:


A motorcycle learner permit allows you to ride on the road while you are learning. The permit is valid for 15 months or until you obtain a motorcycle licence.


You must be at least 18 years of age and a Victorian resident to get a motorcycle learner permit. To get your permit you need to pass the following tests:

  • Road law knowledge test
  • Motorcycle knowledge test
  • Motorcycle skill assessment (a practical test)
  • Eyesight test

A motorcycle learner permit can cannot be renewed once it has expired. If you want to continue riding you'll need to get a new motorcycle learner permit which will include undertaking the learner training course, knowledge test and payment of the relevant training and testing fees.

More information:


To apply for a motorbike (class RE) learner licence you must:

  1. Be at least 18
  2. Have held a provisional or P1 provisional car (class C) licence for one year in the last five years
  3. Complete the Driver Licence Application/Renewal Form (F3000)
  4. Show suitable evidence of identity and Queensland residency documents
  5. Pass an eyesight test, if required
  6. Declare that you are medically fit to learn to drive the class of motor vehicle. Note: If you have a medical condition that might affect your ability to drive or ride safely, you will be required to give a medical certificate from your doctor stating that you are medically fit to drive or ride safely.
  7. Pay the written road rules test fee and pass the test
  8. Pay the required learner licence fee. Note: Payment is only required if renewing at the same time otherwise a label will be placed on the back of your licence.

You must hold your learner licence for at least six months before you are eligible to take a practical driving test. The six month period may be made up of a single continuous period or a number of individual periods within two years before you apply to take the test.

More information:


To obtain your ACT Learner Motorcycle Licence you must:

  • Be at least 16 years and nine months old;
  • Undertake a government approved rider training course; and
  • If you DO NOT already hold a Driver Licence, you must also successfully complete a Road Ready Learner Licence Course, including a computerised knowledge test on the ACT Road Rules.The Road Ready Course is provided by most ACT schools free of charge as part of their year 10 curriculum. It is also conducted by a Road Ready Centre at various locations for a cost of $145.00. The course is available during the day, in the evenings and at week.

More information:


Customers must be at least:

  • 16 years and 4 months to attend the pre-learner motorcycle training course
  • 16 years and 5 months to sit the motorcycle driver knowledge test
  • 16 years and 6 months to hold a motorcycle learner licence

Failing the test: Customers may repeat the test the next business day, however, the test will vary in parts.

Customers must obey the following requirements for motorcycle learner licences:

  1. No pillion passenger can be carried unless the learner is under instruction and the instructor has held a licence to drive a motorcycle for at least 3 years
  2. “L” plate displayed and clearly visible on the back of the motorcycle
  3. No alcohol present in the body while driving
  4. Must not exceed 80 km/h per hour
  5. Restricted to Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) motorcycles.

More information:


If you do not have a current Driver’s Licence, you must first pass a theory test. If you do have a current Driver’s Licence, you must complete a Rider Safe training course. You can make a booking for the Rider Safe course and pay the course fee at any Customer Service Centre.

The course consists of 2 levels – basic and advanced.

Level 1 – Basic training
The basic training course has 2 sessions of 4 hours each. You will learn about straight riding, turning, gear changing and braking in a safe, off-road environment.
Motorbikes and helmets are provided. When you have completed the Level 1 course your receipt will be endorsed. Take this to a Customer Service Centre where a Learner’s Permit will be issued once the permit fee is paid. It is recommended that you have your Learner’s Permit for a minimum of 4 months before you undertake the Level 2 Advanced course.

Level 2 – Advanced training
The advanced training course includes a 4 hour training session and a practical assessment. This course is conducted on weekends.

Once you have successfully completed the Level 2 course, you can apply for the ‘R date’ motorbike class to be added to your Driver’s Licence. If you do not hold a licence, but have held a learner’s permit for a period totalling at least 6 calendar months and you are at least 16 years and 6 months of age, you can apply for a Provisional Licence at any Customer Service Centre. You must have a South Australian Driver’s Licence endorsed with a motorbike class in order to ride a motorbike.

Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme

From 14 November 2005 R-date licence holders (learners and riders with less than 12 months experience) are restricted to riding motorcycles that have an engine capacity of up to 660cc with a power-to-weight ratio of 150kw/t. Holders of a R-date licence issued before 14 November 2005 can ride motorcycles with an engine capacity up to 250cc or those approved under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme.

Inquiries: Freecall 1800 018 300 between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday, information available 24 hours a day, 7 days.

More information:


You can apply for an R-N (moped) or R-E learner’s permit at 16 years of age. If you already hold any class of WA driver’s licence (other than a learner’s permit), this automatically covers you to ride a moped. You can apply for an R class learner’s permit once you hold a full R-E class licence (not probationary). However, you cannot sit the practical test for the R class until you have held your full R-E licence for at least one year.

You will need to sit the motorcycle theory test if you are applying for an R-E class. This test is not required for the R-N or R class. This test consists of 15 multiple-choice questions on road rules that relate to motorcycles. You have to get 12 or more correct to pass. You can prepare for this test by reading the relevant sections of the Drive Safe book. You can download the book in pdf or audio format or get a copy from any Licensing centre and agent.

You may also be required to sit the road rules theory test. This is a test of 30 multiple choice questions on the road rules and safe driving practices. You will need to get 24 or more correct to pass.

You will be required to sit this test only if you are applying for an R-N (moped) or R-E learner’s permit and these are the first licence classes that you have applied for.
You can prepare for this test by reading the Drive Safe book and taking the online learner’s permit practice quiz.

More information:


Motorcyclist Education Training And Licensing (METAL)

The Motorcyclist Education Training And Licensing (METAL) program is funded by the Territory Insurance Office (TIO) through its Motor Accident Compensation Scheme. The Department of Planning and Infrastructure (DPI) provides administrative support. For people wishing to obtain motorcycle licences in the NT, there are training courses available in Darwin, Alice Springs and on a limited basis, in Katherine.

Basic Riding Course

Designed to provide the student with the necessary knowledge and skills for the issue of a motorcycle learner’s licence, i.e. R(e)(L)
Candidates must be at least sixteen years of age before a class R(e)(L) learner’s licence may be issued.

Transitional Riding Course

Designed to provide the student with on road training to enhance motorcycle control skills, road-craft knowledge and confidence in riding on public roads. A pre-requisite for this course is the successful completion of the Basic course.Participants must hold a current “R(e)(L)” licence. The course is skills based only i.e. there is no licence outcome.

Intermediate Riding Course

Follows on from the Basic Course and is designed to enhance motorcycle control and road-craft skills. The successful student is eligible for the issue of a licence to ride a motorcycle up to 260ml engine capacity, ie R(e). A pre-requisite for this course is the successful completion of the Basic course and participants must have held their R(e)(L) licence for a continuous period of 6 months. Bookings can only be made after the 6 month Learner period has lapsed.

Advanced Skills Course
The Advanced Skills course is designed to offer structured training for motorcyclists who hold a current full motorcycle licence, either R or R(e). The course targets riders who wish to enhance their motorcycle control skills, road-craft techniques and motorcycle knowledge. Students are encouraged to provide their own registered and roadworthy motorcycle, however motorcycles can be made available if required.

More information: